It’s a pretty universal feeling – wanting to work in an organisation that not only values its employees and their contributions, but also prioritises their mental health and wellbeing – however reality doesn’t always match up to expectations.
Our 2020 Indicators of Thriving Workplace report shows that workers feel supported and enjoy their job more when their workplaces are working towards being thriving by taking tangible action and committing to improving the mental health and wellbeing of their staff.
When a workplace is thriving, employees feel safe, can bring their best self to work and contribute to the success of the business. These workplaces don’t just talk the talk when it comes to mental health, they walk the walk as well.
Thriving workplaces generally demonstrate at least eight of these best practice activities:
- Ensure all leaders regularly participate in mental health and wellbeing training
- Provide access to mental health and wellbeing education (i.e., training and information)
- Actively provide professional development opportunities
- Let people see the mental health policies and processes in action
- Implement effective policies and practices against workplace bullying and harassment
- Develop good return to work policies and practices for people who have had time off work with mental health conditions
- Recognise people who do good work and reward them appropriately
- Put clear structures in place for transparent decision making
- Develop policies to ensure that changes are managed in clear, supportive and positive ways
- Help people to practice good work/family/life integration
- Make it easy for everyone to access confidential counselling or support services
How close to thriving is your workplace?
If you need some helping turning your workplace into one that thrives, we have the solution for you.
We’ve developed a range of workplace mental health training packages that have been designed by our workplace wellbeing experts. They draw on workplace mental health best practices and have been created to help you solve specific problems when building or improving the mental health and wellbeing of your employees and workplace.
If you don’t know where to start…try the Introduction to Workplace Mental Health package. It’ll give you the tools to kickstart your workplace mental health journey.
If you want to give your team complete support…try the Premium Package (for all employers). It’ll give your team access to four training courses plus numerous resources to create a workplace that prioritises mental health.
If you want to lead from the front…try the Leading Teams Well package. It’ll give your leaders the knowledge to build a mentally healthy workplace from the top down.
These are just a few of the packages we’ve built to help you support your employees and build a mentally healthy and safe workplace. If what you’re after isn’t here, don’t worry. There are numerous other packages that may suit your organisation’s needs.
Ready to invest in your employee’s mental health and wellbeing? For more information or to purchase a package, visit our packages page today.