Have you noticed a change in a loved one or friend? It’s important to pay attention to cues that someone might be struggling, and reach out.
You may notice they are:
- Displaying a lack of interest in things they would normally enjoy or be involved in
- Abruptly changing in tone, volume or mood
- Pausing for long intervals between speaking
- Not concentrating well
- Rigid and inflexible attitude
- Overreacting to minor things
- Evoking high or exaggerated emotions – teary, angry, anxious, fearful, sad
If you know the person already then often you will have thought that something is not right. A change in behaviour, especially if it includes one or many of the above signs, can be a sign of a mental health issue or a mental illness.